Thursday, August 31

Band Geeks Unite!


It's Thursday night, 7:04 p.m. and I am not at the local football game. Where is my Panther Pride?!? It's the 1st game of the year. How can I sit at home and miss it? I actually think I should get major kudos points for even considering it (okay, for only half a second, but still.) Studmuffin is at work tonight and I could pack up 4 kids and try to keep them seated in a crowded stadium without dropping one of them through the cracks and down to the ground 20 feet below all by myself. I could try to fit all 4 of them into a teensy tiny bathroom stall (last cleaned in 1985) when the 2 year old announces she needs to go potty. But I won't. Because my annual hair appointment isn't until next Thursday and I still have another 2 weeks of stomach-crunches to do until I am Football Game Ready. Cuz that's what the games are for: to see and be seen. And if you are sitting there reading this and thinking "huh?" then I find your sweet innocence endearing. You go to see them play football, don't you? That is so cute.

okay, I'm kidding. Sort of. I don't know anybody. Also, I could do crunches every day until I die and I still will not be able to lift my shirt in public. But I don't go to watch anyone play football either. I go for the marching band. I LOVE marching band. I am a 30 year old band geek. So is my husband. We both still roll our toes. We both start with our left foot. Always. Watch us - we are always in step. It is not intentional (gracious, I'm not THAT geeky,) it just feels right.

I ran across a "You might be a band geek if" list and, um, I qualified.
* if you still have your senior year band t-shirt.
* if you have a favorite cadence. I do. Ask me, I'll tap it out for you.
* you can't walk and listen to music without walking to the beat.
* you visit your old band director every year. Not exactly visit - but we do watch his band perform every year at Ozarko.

Our school has a new band director this year and I truly would love to be there tonight to see how it goes. I've been able to hear Phantom of the Opera from my house when they practice in the mornings. Now here is why I know I'm a band geek (as if the rest wasn't embarassing enough:) I am already critical of the poor man because of his music selection. I love the music, don't get me wrong. But there was a huge Phantom of the Opera "thing" about 10 years ago....every band did it. There was another huge PofO "thing" last year (the latest movie,) and I figure by now, all of the competition judges are sick to death of this piece.

Have to share another useless bit of information, but if you read my blog, that's what you're here for, right?
Since I graduated, we've had 3 new band directors...wait for it....

Mr. Finger
Mr. Dickey
and now....Harry Gardener.

Hairy gardener? No darling, don't call him that, he's terribly sensitive about names....he's a landscape artist. nevermind the hair, he's greek.

I'm sure he's a lovely man. Probably not Greek, given the few syllables in his name. And I'm sure the band is going to do just fine.

 Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Brina said...

I used to go for the band...Now I really do go to watch the game... And talk to all the people I know. I also used to take all four of my children to the games by myself. Now that Scott can go with me, we like to leave the whiners with Grandma!!

Anonymous said...

I'm SO not a band geek, but those director names...*snort*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...