Sunday, September 10

Unwritten

I heard a great song a minute ago and it got me thinking. I'm trying to stay away from the computer this weekend, but needed to get this one down to organize my thoughts a bit. The song is Unwritten, and it's good. Releasing inhibitions, reaching for something in the distance, blank pages ready to write on.....

I'm of a passionate nature. Looking for the adventure in the daily grind, waiting for that high seas adventure, etc. I usually love a stirring reminder to live life to its fullest. But I couldn't stop thinking about how it's not about me anymore. The point to it all now is the blank pages of my children. They have their whole lives before them. I am preparing their stories right now.

Don't get me wrong, my life is not over, but if my focus is me and my possible adventures then my focus is wrong. My adventure is now. THIS is the moment I was born for. THIS is the calling I am called to. If and when God brings another adventure my way, then THAT will be the moment and the calling. But my focus cannot be on the whats and whens. I must enjoy the now. One of my favorite movie lines is from Ever After. At the very end of the movie, the storyteller says "And, while Cinderella and her Prince did live happily ever after, the point, gentlemen, is that they lived." Yes! And though I don' t look like Cinderella and my husband isn't a make-believe-prince...I have met my prince and I am living happily ever after. If I live like I'm still waiting for my story to happen, then I'm missing out on everything.

It's kind of like a great book about generations of families. I'm now the mom and the story is now about my kids. I've got to be honest: In my selfish moments, I think that kind of stinks. I want it to be about me. But how ugly is that? I had these kids. I had these wonderful kids. God blessed me with these amazing babies. Regardless of what romantic illusions I had set out toward, THIS is the romantic reality I am privileged to experience.

Happily ever now and after? Giving my all to God, loving my husband, and raising men and women of God. If it gets in the way of any of these things, it isn't God's plan for me and it's got to go. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right you are, and funny that my thoughts were headed that way this morning, too. You are good people, Jenn.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post!

On Friday I got a fortune cookie that said "Enjoy life, this is not a dress rehearsal" (Yeah, ancient Chinese wisdom...) Anyway, that spun into a draft post that you just TOTALLY sucked the wind out of with your much better post.

"The Life I Shall Get..." is no more. I've got it. Just have to do it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...