Wednesday, November 26

Christmas Around the Corner

I reviewed an item and need to share it by today. I've held off till the last minute because I hate to jump into the Christmas game before Thanksgiving. But it is due today and it is time to share.

It's funny because, as opposed as I am to jump starting Christmas, I have had this verrrrry Christmas-y toy out for the past month. We opened this box some time back and the kids were THRILLED to see what was inside.


It's the Nativity Set from One2Believe, a company with an awesome vision. From their website:

"Our Vision

one2believe's passion is to help children learn important Bible lessons and to have them come to faith in Jesus. Our goal is to provide fun ways of teaching children about the greatest people who ever lived. Through the toys that we design children will learn and play out exciting stories about real people. Our toys teach children that there are real superheroes they can believe in!

one2believe has a great desire to support parents in their battle for their children's hearts and minds. We pray that parents will take the lead by engaging their children in faith and get them excited about Jesus. In Philippians it speaks about pressing on, at one2believe we believe that we will either influence the world or the world will influence us."


Beautiful vision, right?


And the kids have had a blast playing with this.



Unfortunately, it's not always been as intended. These angels were kung fu fighting.



Every year we've broken off a few more pieces of my old nativity set. My old set was cute without being cutesy, pretty but not gawdy,...and painfully breakable. But it was the nativity! and I couldn't NOT let the kids play with it! But after losing and breaking so many tiny pieces, we were in sad need of another. I don't like the idea of setting a nativity out just to look at. I want the kids to be able to love and interact with the Christmas Story. Sadly, loving often means breaking. But this nativity is indestructible! It is super tough AND very cute. A perfect fit for us. I am so thankful we were given the opportunity to give it a try. I am also thankful that it will continue to bless our family for many, many years.

Every time I walk by, the pieces are arranged differently. No one claims credit, so there is a possibility the set is magic.



I have once concern with this product and that is the PVC factor. The pieces are made of PVC, which provides durability, but is questionable for toxicity. I'm rather paranoid about such things and would not recommend letting babies chew on this one. Their website says that all Tales of Glory toys have been tested by an independent third party testing facility and comply with ASTM standards, so I am probably being overly cautious. Just don't lick the things and if you do, don't tell me so I won't worry. 'kay?

Another great feature to one2believe's products are the "points". Each purchase comes with points on the back of the box that you can redeem for free product. Free is good, so don't throw away your box!

One last feauture.....the letter that comes with it. The box came with a small booklet that shares the Birth story and scripture verses, but we quickly lost it and it didn't catch my eye that strongly anyway. But the letter they included. Ah! I've kept it on my refrigerator and appreciate the reminder. It is an encouragement to parents to take up the responsibility of nurturing the spiritual development of our children. It shares the different concepts or "stepping stones" children are able to grasp at each age and stage up to 12 years old. It's a great reference. If you email the company, perhaps they'll send you a copy. Or you can buy one of their bible based toys and get a letter AND points for more free stuff.

So! if you are in the market for an excellent present for the beginning of Advent, my family gives this one a big thumbs up. It's sturdy, cute, affordable, and FUN.


I have no idea where baby Jesus ran off to this time.

In person it's quite cute, but if you squint really hard, the ram on the left looks like a giant mouse in this picture.

If you had the self control to not squint, you deserve a lollipop. If you made it through this post without singing "Kung Fu Fighting", you deserve two lollipops.

For more reviews of this product, be sure to check out the TOS website.

6 comments:

Michael McMullen said...

Awww...I don't get any lollipops.

"those kicks were fast at lightning"

Jenn said...

No way! It's "kicks"??? I've always sung "cats". How embarrassing.

Anonymous said...

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving. May you all take time to Thank God for his many blessing. And for always being there for us. What an Awsome God!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad, Jenn. I always sang it "cats" too. I wonder if it is "cats" or "kicks"?!?!

I will look it up tomorrow! LOL

I get no lollipops either! ;)

And.

My views on the christmas holiday are not popular, but I think you like me well enough to not hate me for this, so I am going to share it...

You talked about letting the kids play and interact with the toy "nativity" set before the christmas season. And I think that is awesome.

In my family we talk about the birth of Jesus all year. We have no biblical evidence of when he was born, therefore we take it for granted that while his birth was obviously important, it is not something we can pick a day to celebrate.

On the other hand, it is his DEATH that christians are told to remember. So his birth, to us, is like the rest of the miracles surrounding Jesus and all of his words. It is part of our daily remembrances and reverence to God and his son.

And we worship Jesus every Sunday, when we remember his death.

So, we do not celebrate christmas as his birth day. To me, doing that would be like trying to pin down a day to celebrate his baptism too. (Does anyone do that? Maybe they do, I don't know, but if so, it is obviously not as popular as christmas.)

Do you know what I am trying to say? I know I don't explain it well enough, which is probably why it is so unpopular when I do talk about it!

Which I think is a little weird. Because honestly, I think it is pretty harmless for us not to celebrate Jesus' birth as long as we follow his commands and remember his death like he said too...

People do think it is strange (and even wrong, I ahve been told) that as christians we do not "celebrate the birth of Christ" on Christmas though...

I'd love to know what you think about it, so I will come back and check this post when I get back in town, ok! (I'm telling you so you don't think I am ignoring you!) I should be back Sunday :)

Jenn said...

Lawanda, I think you are DEAD ON. While Thanksgiving is my favorite holiDAY, Christmas is my favorite season. We celebrate Advent and it is...well, magical, but we haven't figured out a less heathenish word for that yet. But we really don't focus on the birth of Christ much at all during this time. We do a Jesse Tree and an Advent Wreath, which focus on the Old Testament from Creation to Christ, sharing the prophecies of Christ to come and the need for His coming. We celebrate our thanksgiving for the Gift of Christ and celebrate the advent of His second coming. It is a hopeful, expectant season and we savor every minute of it. We stop about half of our studies and switch over to "Christmas School" which just includes lots of crafts, gifts, reading, and copywork of prophecy verses.

I'm pretty sure we're on the same page here, but I wanted to clarify about celebrating Christ's death. We do, but more of our daily focus is on His resurrection. I guess I'm saying we worship not just that He died, but that He conquered death. kwim?

You're views may not be popular, but I share them (I think - correct me if I'm wrong!) and I'll sit at the geek table with you during lunch hour, 'kay?

Anonymous said...

Yes, you can sit at my table any time!! ;)

When I refer to the Death of Christ, I am usually thinking - Death, Burial, Resurrection! Sorry 'bout that ;)

It seems that I am not alone! :) I know it doesn't matter much, but that really is a good feeling. :)

You are so creative! I may use some of your ideas for bible class ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...