Friday, March 30

Scaredy Cat

I am so embarrassed to admit this, but I am apparently an anxious person.*

Ugh, it sound so weak and whimpish. My husband teases me about being a worrier from a long line of worriers, but I've never thought of myself that way. Certainly, I can quickly assess all manner of worst-case-scenarios in any given situation, but it's more of a practical-thinking kind of tool. I determine what could be unsafe and I make provisions to prevent danger and then I stop worrying, knowing I've done what I can to make things safe. In my back yard, there are limited things that could be considered dangerous. There is a road, so I gave the kids a boundary line not to play beyond. There is a swing set and the kids know not to climb on top of it unless they feel like driving themselves to the E.R. I live in a quiet neighborhood with neighbors that help keep an eye on my kids in our safe haven of a yard. There is little to worry over.

But after several nights of some scary heart palpitations, I went to the doctor and was told I was having a reaction to a bad combination of excessive amounts of caffeine, too little sleep, and stress.


Stress?

Me: My life is great! What do you mean stress?
Doctor: Good, good. So are you still homeschooling? How is that going?
Me: Great! Everything's going really well.
Doctor: And your asthma? Still mild? No flare-ups recently?
Me: Well, we're moving into an old house that needs a lot of renovating and it has set off my allergies a lot lately.
Doctor: You're moving?
Me: Well, yeah, but it's at our leisure and there's no rush and it's going to be a relaxed move.
Doctor: Sure. (snort) Whatever.
She didn't say that. She barely let a smile of mockery even tinge the corners of her mouth. She was great, as always, and ran a full evaluation anyway.
Everything came back normal. Which means, I'm just a ninny.

Oh, wait. Not everything came back normal. I have high cholesterol now. Cholesterol? It's not high enough for meds, but high enough to declare me an OLD PERSON.

I'm an old ninny.

And NOW I feel stressed.



*edited to point out that apparently, everyone but ME knew I was an anxious person. Non-anxious people apparently calmly say, "Really? I don't feel stressed." Anxious people say, "What?!? But I don't feel any stress! How can I be stressed if I don't feel stress???"

4 comments:

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Ya got four kids! 'Nuff said! Heeehehehe!!!

You old??? Why girl, your just a baby and what the heck does that make me?

Don't answer...I don't want to know. Shoot, when Geek Son and Social Butterfly were young they used to sing, (to the tune of Farmer in the Dell) "We'll put 'er in the home, we'll put 'er in the home, high ho the dairy~o...."

God bless ya and have a super great day sweetie!!! :o)

Andrea said...

Stressed? What's stress? Just drive on down to the DQ and order up a Raspberry Truffle Blizzard. You'll be as good as new then! :)

Jenn said...

I seriously don't think I'm stressed. But if stress gets me a prescription for a raspberry truffle anything, I'll take it!

Cari said...

Ummm...yeah you have 4 kids and you homeschool. Homeschooling by itself would be stressful even if you only had 1 kid. haha You're a hero Jenn!

And don't worry...you're not old...yet. lol ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...