Wednesday, August 2

Such a pity


Andie, you have no idea how shockingly sad it is, really. I am a big fan of classic rock. But it is still a relatively new world for me. I grew up listening to some classic songs: Wildfire, Country Road, Hey Mandie.... When I got old enough to search out my own music, I was inexplicably drawn to showtunes and soundtracks.



The soundtrack to Mermaids led to a love of oldies and I searched out the oldies stations. I watched that movie a gazillion times and had every song memorized.


Dirty Dancing? Are you kidding? I was Baby. As a kid, I felt so flattered when people told me I looked just like Jennifer Grey. Until I realized that the big nose was all that we really had in common and she eventually had surgery to correct it and we no longer looked anything alike.



When Harry Met Sally introduced me to Harry Connick Jr. That was love. "24" is still one of my favorite albums. I don't own the cd to that one (wink wink, nudge nudge.) Chris and I were discussing my musical virginity last week and he said "Wait, you listened to some popular songs because I remember you listening to Tears from Heaven!" You know, the song that played in every grocery store across America for months on end? Yes, I listened to it. It was on the soundtrack to the movie "Rush". Soundtracks, baby. I hate to admit it, but even my love of classical music was inspired by a soundtrack. Remember the movie "Amadeus"? Sidenote: bad guy in Pirates II is the actor from Amadeus. Haven't looked that up, but I had a crush on him and I'm sure it's the same guy.

My next layer into music appreciation came with an awesome band director: Todd Rhinehardt. My junior and senior year were spent playing great songs. 25 or 6 to 4, Magic Carpet Ride, Blues Brothers galore. And of course, it was also the time that I met my peach of a husband. This guy knows music. He grew up listening to some great stuff. His parents grounded him in the art of 70's rock. Steve Miller Band, Skynrd, Eagles. His tastes developed and he became a Bon Jovi oficianado. Stone Temple Pilots, Spin Doctors, Soup Dragons. He introduced me to this wonderful new world and I love it. But as much as I love it, I still stick out like a fanny pack in Paris. I've got a long way to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your nose was not the same! You both had the same figure and hairdo and coloring. I remember you and Brian Lohman singing and acting out the scene from dirty dancing when Baby and Johnny were practicing in the dance studio. "Sylvia", "Yes Mickey" "How do you call your lover boy?" "Come here lover boy" "and if he doesn't answer?" "Oh, lover boy" "and if he still doesn't answer?" "I'd simply say, baby, oh oh baby, my sweet baby, you're the one"
Wow, that just brought back a rush tide of memories that I could embarass you with :) For all, now I have to say is........hickey.
Love ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...