Sunday, January 28

Homeschool Resources Meme

1. ONE HOMESCHOOL BOOK YOU HAVE ENJOYED:
For the Children's Sake

2. ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULDN'T BE WITHOUT:
The Well Trained Mind

3. ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH YOU HAD NEVER BOUGHT:
Spelling Power
I searched for a used version of this for years before finally finding one - it is in big demand and expensive new. The idea is that you will never need another spelling book because this one covers from 3rd grade to high school. And it does, if you know how to spell. It is great for those that can memorize spelling words and remember them. Not for my kids. We're doing Sequential Spelling now and loving it. Here's an awesome sample.

We also didn't enjoy Rod & Staff math. We tried it for 3rd & 1st grade. It drilled the facts home, but didn't build a foundation. Now we're loving Singapore.

4. ONE RESOURCE YOU ENJOYED LAST YEAR:
Apologia Astronomy
We LOVED this. And it gave us a chance to try out our new Notebooking skills.

5. ONE RESOURCE YOU WILL BE USING NEXT YEAR
Rod & Staff Grammar. We've used it for Ethan's 3rd grade, skipped 4th, and are using it for Ethan's 5th. These are excellent grammar books!

6. ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULD LIKE TO BUY:
Latin for Children
I had to choose between a haircut and this book. I opted for haircut, and it is CUTE! but now my latin purchase is pushed back another few weeks.

7. ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH EXISTED:
The perfect history curriculum. I loved Mystery of History I, but it went deeply into depth with bible characters (who we would study in our bible readings anyway) and not so in depth with other around-the-world situations. I loved Story of the World, but it left out all of bible history. I want the perfect curriculum that will bring out the Christian themes: Where were these bible characters in the midst of everything else going on in the world? What was happening with the early Christian church as Rome was eroding? How did the Church develop? How was the founding of our country influenced by Christianity? I want to know these things, but I don't want ONLY these things. I want to know what was going on around the world. We're going into Year 3 of our history and I can use SOTW 3 for world history, but without the Christian influence on America OR I can go with the Christian influence in America and NOTHING ELSE. If anyone knows of something that fits this.... PLEASE tell me. I'm buying history next week and could use some advice.

8. ONE HOMESCHOOLING CATALOG YOU ENJOY READING:
Elijah Company

9. ONE WEBSITE YOU USE REGULARLY:
The Well-Trained Mind Message Boards

10. TAG OTHER HOMESCHOOLERS:
Jennie C.

Jenni in KS

4 comments:

Jennie C. said...

I think I did this one a while back...I'll have to check!

Jenni said...

Okay, okay already! I'll post when I get home this afternoon. I was just stopping by before heading out the door for co-op. Hopefully I'll have time to post one or two of the other things I've been wanting to add, too. I've been a very bad blogger!

Jennifer in MS said...

And you didn't think you had anything interesting to say!

I found it very informative! You dislike some of the programs I like, but none the less, it was interesting! :0)

I am emjoying MOH, but I totally agree with what you said about a perfect history curriculum. Who knows....maybe it's in the works and we can use it the next 4 year cycle!

I hope Caralyn reads your Spelling Power review. I recommended it to her, so I'd like her to see a different view of it. I would hate for anyone to waste their money on a curriculum that isn't a good fit for their family.

Have a great day!

Jenn said...

Jennie - I figured you'd already done it, or Andie would have tagged you. I was hoping you might be able to dig it up. I am so curious about what y'all are doing for your homeschool.

Jenni - You're a great blogger! I can't say anything bad about anyone for not blogging everyday - lol. And I think you're posts are beautiful. Take your time. I love reading other people's memes even though it's hard for me to think of answers of my own.

Jennifer - I would have LOVED Spelling Power for myself as a kid. I should have been a little more generous because I think it is an awesome program. It just didn't fit my kiddos.

I LOVE hearing what everyone else is doing! There is so much stuff out there, it is mind-boggling.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...