Wednesday, February 7

Last Train to Clarksville


This was one of my favorite songs as a kid. The Monkees were one of my favorite groups. I watched the Monkee's sitcom on Nick-at-Nite obsessively. I had a crush on Michael (the wool hat guy) who played the 'smart and serious' one. Yup - I knew he was deep. Why 'deep' seemed like an important quality to my 9-year old brain is beyond me. Peter was my runner-up, and he played the idiot. I think I felt sorry for him or something. Or maybe I felt I could relate.

Anyway, I had to do some googling, cuz Andie got me curious and I discovered from Wikipedia:

As a television show, The Monkees used techniques rarely seen on episodic television. This included characters breaking the fourth wall and talking to the camera (and sometimes even to off-camera studio production staff), fantasy sequences, and abrupt inserts and jump cuts. At least once a week, there was a musical romp which might have nothing to do with the storyline. In retrospect, many episodes included vignettes which now look very much like music videos: short, self-contained films of songs.

Also, it seems that Michael's mom invented Liquid Paper and left him a fortune when she kicked the bucket. Who knew?

7 comments:

Miss Notesy said...

Oh yeah, but did you kiss the tv screen and pretend that you were kissing one of them like I did?

I worked with NKOTB too.

How old are you???

Miss Notesy said...

I mean "it worked" I didn't work with them. Although I did pretend to be a back up singer, a lot.

Jenni said...

Did you notice that wool hat guy and blond guy seem to have forgotten the lyrics in a couple places?
You had me trippin' for a minute because I *know* you aren't old enough to have watched this as a kid. Then I realized you said you watched it on Nick-at-Nite. So this was like the crush I had on Adam or Little Joe. Man was I crushed when I found out Little Joe and Pa Ingalls were one and the same. Or that Adam's real name was Pernell. Ewww!

Jenn said...

LOL - I'm 31 and I wondered for a minute about nkotb! Wow - you got to WORK with them?!?!? Yup - I had a serious crush on them, too. A friend of mine had a concert on tape and we rewound and rewound and rewound their little hip-thrusting dance routine. sigh....

LOL, Jennie! I don't even know who Adam is! I only know about Little Joe because of the VeggieTale "little Joe" which parodied the original show....Bonanza? I loved Little House on the Praire!

Jenn said...

LOL - I'm 31 and I wondered for a minute about nkotb! Wow - you got to WORK with them?!?!? Yup - I had a serious crush on them, too. A friend of mine had a concert on tape and we rewound and rewound and rewound their little hip-thrusting dance routine. sigh....

LOL, Jennie! I don't even know who Adam is! I only know about Little Joe because of the VeggieTale "little Joe" which parodied the original show....Bonanza? I loved Little House on the Praire!

Anonymous said...

I think I'd have required therapy if I found out I'd had a crush on Pa, Jenni! Poor thing.

Not quite the same, but I was pretty freaked out when I discovered that the Motown music my parents played *wasn't* current. In 1983.

Anonymous said...

WELL?? It's Friday. I've been up since 4am, twitching nervously and checking behind the fridge, under the couch (never know, she might try to trip us up with what we least expect) I even cleaned the soapdish thingy in the shower last night just in case. So, what IS it already? The kids will survive a day without school, woman...but I'm not sure I can take the stress much longer.

Gotta go. I think I hear a dust bunny forming in the office.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...