Tuesday, October 21

Lefty



I just discovered this website this morning, offering advice on teaching lefties to write cursive. Ethan is a lefty. He comes from a long line of lefties on his dad's side. Eating Thanksgiving dinner at my in-laws means all the right-handed people get seated at the corners of the table so that they don't bump the elbows of all the lefties.


Ethan is decent at handwriting but not showing much hope of improving after learning cursive two years ago. His little brother is quickly surpassing him in handwriting skills. But this page pointed out several things I was not teaching that sound like they could really help him. I'll try implementing them this week. The Peterson Handwriting Method uses a movement-based strategy and focuses on gross motor skills before actually putting anything to paper.


If you have a lefty whose handwriting could use some improvement (or if you ARE a lefty in need of improvement) you might find this quick read helpful.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh my goodness! I can't watch that video any more. Everyone is clapping to a different rhythm and it's beginning to make my heart beat irregularly just watching it.

Jenn said...

Isn't it horrendous??? Can you imagine these people in a marching band? GAH! I graduated 14 years ago and I still can't stand to walk out of step when I'm beside someone. Seeing this gang walking together would make my eyes bleed.

Ginger said...

I'm a lefty - and DANG proud of it! That site was helpful, Brett, my #2, I'm pretty sure will be a lefty and I'm holding out hope that Luke #4, will also be a lefty. He throws a mean spiral with his left (and Daddy does everything he can to make him throw/eat with his right) ha! it's our silent little battle. :) Those were some good things to be prepared for as they begin writing. (Oh, and I still to this day HATE the black smudge under my pinkie/back of my hand from dragging my hand across wet ink. argh!!!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...