Tuesday, December 30

Gearing Up

I haven't been on here much this week, huh? Sorry! I'm busy gearing up for homeschool classes restarting on Monday. The house needed a good cleaning out and lesson plans to figure out. The boys are ready to move up in a few subjects and I need to figure out what to order next. As I'm trying to figure out our next schedule, it's hitting home how much I need to refocus on our goals. We are in dire need for some rearranging of priorities. I've pulled back out a resource I love for getting into the right mindset and nailing down the particulars. It's an ebook called "Homeschooling ABC's" by Terri Johnson of Knowledge Quest. It's actually set up as an online course, sent to you through email. This time through, I'm doing a chapter a day to refresh my memory.

It is actually designed for the beginner homeschool mom; to equip and prepare you with everything you need to know, including lots of encouragement and great advice. No, I'm not new to this game, but I still need lots of reminding. I don't think I'll ever have it all "figured out" because our ideas and goals change sometimes and our school lives need to change with the rest of our lives. Sometimes though, those goals and ideas change slowly by accident and need some purposeful planning to get back on track. That's where I am right now.


I started teaching over 5 years ago, and I still have to stop and determine my philosophy of education.....that's in this course! There are things I'm skimming this time, since I have buying and selling curriculum down, I've dealt with my socialization woes, and I've found more library and internet resources than I can handle. But I needed to take another look at the kids learning styles and reestablish a routine and find a way to get the boys more "hands on". My boys need to create stuff. They just aren't thriving if they aren't building something. This course covers all of this.

It also has lots of freebies. LOTS of freebies. Lots of GOOD freebies. Cindy Rushton, James Baldwin, and Values Driven just to name a few contributors of the free stuff. The free stuff coincides with the chapter each week. Terri doesn't just tell you about stuff to do, she provides it for free!

The course is 26 weeks long, with a link to each chapter emailed to you each week. Each chapter ends with an assignment to get you going. I love that it comes in small bites like that. It keeps it from being overwhelming. One step at a time makes this do-able. Each chapter starts with part of the ABC's (hence the name.) Week one is "A Quick Start". Within 48 hours of your first chapter, you can have your homeschool up and running, followed by 6 months of excellent advice and huge doses of encouragement. Next comes "B is for Basics". Tonight, I'm chewing on "Establish your Philosophy". I've received up to "L". This course covers everything, including making a budget for your curriculum, helping your child adjust if you are pulling them out of public school, and working with the homeschool laws.

If you are interested in signing up (and if you are new to homeschooling I promise you want to sign up,) the cost is $10 per month. With over $200 worth of freebies, this is ridiculously cheap. Be sure to sign up soon though because the class sizes are limited to make them more manageable. They only register 500 at a time and were down to 142 last I checked.

4 comments:

The Shafer's said...

Thanks for sharing this..I went and checked it out and I think I will be signing up! Thanks again!

Shanna said...

I just spent all day yeterday typing up spreadsheet of goals for the rest of the year for each of the kids. I'm trying to re-focus on what is important for them to accomplish, and then figure out what I'm going to use to get it done. It's been good inspiration.

Mel at Adventures of Mel said...

I think I might try this too....looks very helpful because it is so easy to get overwhelmed. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Very good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...