Wednesday, December 31

Handwriting


Okay, I've got to be honest: I didn't like this one.

There. I said it. Of all the reviews I've done, Peterson Directed Handwriting is the curriculum I least enjoyed teaching to the boys. It simply was not easy to read and prepare for the lessons. The layout was scattered and confusing. Ease of use is one of my number one requirements for our lessons, and this did not meet that requirement. However, another major requirement is enrichment to their education and I'll let you judge for yourself how enriching it was:

Ethan's handwriting sample is first, with the old sample on top and the recent sample at the bottom.


Joel's, again with the old on top and new on bottom.


Crazy difference, huh?

Yes, it was a pain to teach, but will you look at that improvement?!? This is from a month and a half of teaching handwriting for about 20 minutes a session, 3 sessions per week. I'm floored. And it's not as if we've never studied handwriting before. We've used Abeka, Handwriting Without Tears, and homemade Mama copywork for years! I had nearly given up on Ethan (my leftie), assuming he had perhaps inherited his father's handwriting skills:



I like to think it's a sign of genius.

In Chris' defense, his teachers told him to give up in the fourth grade. They were tired of trying and told him to stick to print for the sake of anyone forced to read his handwriting. His print is much more legible.

I honestly think this program could even change Chris, were he willing to endure it. It uses a completely different method than anything I've seen before. Rather than copying or tracing, it focuses on teaching rhythm and motion, training and strengthening the muscles needed to create proper strokes.

Mr. Rand Nelson is wonderful to work with you and answer any questions you might have. He was quick to respond and generously leads online tutorials to help even more. Even though I was the only student in the group, he took the time to lead an online chat tutorial with a visual board for examples. The website itself offers plenty of free advice and excellent thoughts on how to teach handwriting. The kit I used is only $15.05. Very inexpensive, if you don't mind some extra reading in the teacher's manual.


Had it not been a review assignment, I would not have seen the program through the first week. My time is limited and I don't want to spend it deciphering teacher's manuals. However, I am glad that it was an assignment and that I gave it a fair try. We will continue with the program, easy or not, because it's working.

If you can actually decipher all of Chris' letter, lollipops for you!

2 comments:

Michael McMullen said...

Well, once again, I miss out on lollipops.

I do understand Chris' situation though. Do to changing changing schools three times between second and fourth grade, I never got the hang of fancy-pants handwriting.

Thank goodness for cursive fonts on Word.

Anonymous said...

i agree your idea ! very nice blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...