Saturday, March 7

Enchiladas make everything better

We've spent the last couple days repairing our hot water heater. Yesterday was especially trying for Chris so I worked on fixing his favorite supper.....enchiladas (sigh). You really can't say "enchiladas" without the sigh.

Supper was awesome - a break from the stress of the day and served on paper plates to keep more dishes from piling up since we were without water. The recipe makes two large pans, so we even had a day of leftovers cooling in the oven.

I left after supper to use my mom's bathtub to scrub the kiddos clean. When I returned home, Chris had the water heater fixed and we enjoyed a movie together. The boys slept outside in their homemade tent. I was a little less panicky with two of them together than I was with the idea of just one. I was still rather unsettled though.

And through it all......I forgot the second pan of enchiladas. I awoke to a pan of cold enchiladas in the oven. You know, it happens, but it is especially tragic when it's enchiladas. We're eating popcorn for lunch today and mourning the loss of leftovers.

But here's the recipe if you're interested!

Beef Enchiladas
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 large onion, diced
2 cans regular cans red enchilada sauce
1 can of Armour chili with beans
lots of shredded cheddar cheese
16 flour tortillas

Cook hamburger and onion together. Mix enchilada sauce with can of chili. Grease 13x9 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set up an assembly line:

Dip tortilla in sauce mixture. Place tortilla in the pan and spread 1-2 Tb of hamburger mixture on it. Top with 1-2 Tb cheese. Roll up and slide in to the end of the pan. Repeat until the pan is full (usually about 8 tortillas.) Continue until you're almost out of something....it's never the same thing twice. It will usually yield 2 full 13x9 pans. Sometimes an extra 8" pan, depending on how full you stuffed them. Mix remaining meat and sauce together and pour over the top of the rolled tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese is good and melted....about 15 - 20 minutes.

Yummmmmmmmmm.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Did you throw out the enchiladas already? Because I think they'd be totally fine. I can't count how many times I've left things out cooling on top of the stove overnight and eaten them the next day. How about pizza? Does anyone ever put leftover pizza in the fridge when it's just going to be eaten the next morning or for lunch? Not us anyway. Enchiladas are a favorite here, too, so that would be especially tragic to lose a whole pan.

Shanna said...

Thanks for the recipe! We'll definitely be trying this one...I like that it makes a big batch!

Anonymous said...

I think they'd be fine too. But I know Kevin would freak if I served him something left in the oven overnight. :-p

They sound so yummy! No wonder you were in mourning.

I cannot tell you how many times I have done that same thing. *sigh*

Michael McMullen said...

I guess I'm having enchiladas for dinner.

Mmmmm..........enchiladas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...