Tuesday, April 10

Mmmm, sugar.

In case you didn't catch it from my last post, the sugar fast is disastrously over.

My awesome sis visited throughout the week beforehand and I flopped numerous times. It's getting easier and easier to make the non-sugar choice though. I can tell such a difference in how I feel, think, and act that it makes it simpler to realize that eating the cake or drinking the coke is actually making a decision to feel like crap later. I weigh it each time....temporary pleasure ending in bad skin and short temper or bland, boring water with good skin and steady mood? Okay, yeah, I've been opting for the sugar, but I thought about it first. See the difference there? I think this eating-right-thing must be a 12-step type of deal and I'm surely on step 3 or something. As soon as I find the name of the program that fits my theory, I'll embrace it whole-heartedly.

So far, I've eliminated trans-fats from our diet (except for the occasional fast food run) and begun eliminating corn syrup...wow that one is more widespread than I could have imagined and is certainly a process. I've switched to whole grains, except for flour and I do that one half-and-half. I've begun taking Omega-3's and am researching getting them into the kids for less than a fortune-a-month. Lastly, I've thought about how terrible sugar is for me and my kids. Thinking about it. Thinking and intending are not the same as actually eliminating, unfortunately. I'm working on it. Sorta.

Now, my computer has a funny, electrical melting smell to it, and my screen is going dark, so I may or may not be on tomorrow - lol. It's apparently time to shut 'er down.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Ok, I came over here to visit and thank you for visiting me, and as soon as your page came up.....I HAVE to know!!!!! HOW DO YOU EXPAND YOUR PAGE?????? It's the full width of my monitor, and my blog only centers the screen with about 4 inches of white on each side. I'm so jealous! It looks like the same template to me except yours is on the left.
Would you please share the secret?
It's been driving me crazy for months. LOL! I am so computer illiterate, it's not even funny!
I've enjoyed reading your posts, and you sound like me trying to ease out the bad stuff. Sugar's gonna be hard, though. I like it wayyyy too much!
I'll be back to visit again.

Michael McMullen said...

No way! I'm on the same path to sugar free nirvana! I've cut back dramatically on my intake of soda. I've replaced most of it with Kool-Ade, but it's a step forward.

Omega-3 huh? I always thought that was a constelation or unnamed solar system or somethin'. I'm not up to date on my vitamins. I'm trying to find that fine balance between health-food nut and slob. There's a balance there, I know there is.

Jennifer in MS said...

Hey Jenn,
Sticking to healthy eating is a hard one for me too. I fully know the right thing. I'll feel so convicted about what I'm feeding my kids and then life gets busy and we're back in the same rut. I guess the good thing is that I don't usually stay in the rut for long.

Also, Britt and I are taking Omega 3's as well as a good multi-vitamin from the health food store. I also have the kids on some good ones, but gosh it's expensive when you have four kids taking them every day!

Britt called me right after we took our two vitamins (which are bright green) and our omega 3 and wanted to know if my pee was florescent. I was like, huh??!! I had to go check (while I was on the phone with him....nice huh?). It was. LOL He was relieved. I thought you would enjoy that little story, LOL, or not! :0)

Have a great weekend!

Jenn said...

LOL about the kool-aid. hey, baby steps. It's one step closer than my "thinking about it".

ROFLOL - I've actually had that same conversation with my husband, Jennifer! My doctor said it was fine, just extra vitamins that weren't needed and therefore not being absorbed. Our bodies know how to get rid of the excess. I have no idea if he knew what he was saying, but he looked confident and I didn't die - lol. I still wonder if it had anything to do with the specific vitamin I had enough of or if it was a brand ingredient thing because different brands caused different "colors".

Gee, I feel so close to you suddenly, Jennifer :D

Christy said...

Flourescent pee here too...

We also go in phases, the only true changes I have stuck to are buying whole wheat products, organic milk, and taking vitamins from the health food store. I have eliminated trans fats and I am trying to get rid of all the corn syrup-but it is in EVERYTHING!! It is a process that we are also taking in tiny baby steps and weeks like this last one cause huge steps back-eating Mcdonalds every day for a week blows all thoughts of healthy eating!!

SuzanneA said...

I just found your blog - should be doing something more productive, but this is fun! I've recently also tried to pay better attendtion to what we eat - have you tried incorporating flax seed? I've read good things about it and it goes well with lots - sprinkle it on cereal, toast, etc. It does have a nutty flavor on its own, but my ten year old hasn't noticed yet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...