Wednesday, December 17

Aleks

My children are drawn to the computer. It calls to them. They are very limited, as I've said before, on how much time they are allowed. If there was no limit, they would skip all meals and stay on the computer all day. Instead, their mean mom keeps them down to about 20 minutes a day. They have been so happy to have computer programs to review with me. We had Time4Learning, Aleks, Crayola Art, Rime to Read, and Kinderbach. It has not been easy, juggling the many programs and their severe time limitation. Aleks was a program I felt pretty good about the time spent.


Both boys had finished their Singapore Math books and I was in the market for the next level math programs. The Aleks review was very timely. It is not, however, the program for us. I wish it were. Oh, how I wish it were. The list of pros is quite nice, and I'll share them first. But it has key items on the cons list, which I will have to share as well.

I like that the boys can sit down and do their assignment quickly and efficiently. They do their math and they progress at whatever pace they are able to understand. It is a very intelligent (artificially so) assessment and learning system that works at their level. When you sign up for Aleks (an acronym for (Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces,) you are signing up for a time period, not necessarily a specific course. You can switch programs as needed. This is an excellent quality for students that may be ready to progress in some areas, but have gaps needing filled before moving in other areas. I like that you can compare your student's math scores with any state's standards. It is nice to know if they are where they should be. I also love that they have wonderful support available from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. They are happy to help with everything.

The students have their own pie chart that lists the different skills they need to know and colors in the skills they have acquired. This is an excellent motivator! My boys loved seeing that pie fill up! They can choose which topic they'd like to pursue each day, but some topics are off limits until they have mastered another. It will not let them study something they are not ready for. Diagnostic tests are given periodically to assess what the child has retained. Parents can also request a test be given at any given time. If they have forgotten something that they had previously learned, it is taken back out of their pie chart so that they can do further review on it.


Aleks is good for finding and filling holes in instruction, but I do not feel it is strong enough to stand alone as a primary math program. I saw very little in the way of critical thinking problems. It seemed more geared toward basic skill building. A formula was given and reviewed. The problems given fit the formula and did not require the student to pull out other skills or think things through. Now, once something was learned, Aleks was very good to move on and not continue to bore them with unnecessary review. But it didn't really required them to think mathematically. Since each problem was given as a stand-alone concept, my boys were able to learn how to do a type of problem without having to understand why they were doing it.

Another problem we had was not with the Aleks, but with my boys being boys. Aleks would present a problem to them that they couldn't answer. They didn't have any idea how to even tackle it. Each page has plenty of help and explanations handy, but they require you to admit you need help and ask for an explanation. My manly little men plowed on through, knowing they would eventually figure things out. There were several times that they spent their entire 20 minutes on the computer not learning how to do a specific formula. I fear my boys will never stop at a gas station for directions. *sigh*

Also, Aleks does not support Linux.  But I'm sure this is something that will change soon enough as Linux becomes more commonly used.

I am not unsatisfied with the whole program; I just want to keep it in its proper place. I think that ALEKS is a good way to review basic skills, especially for a child needing more practice or to fill in gaps, but I did not find it to be adequate at taking kids deeper into math.

Still, I find it highly likely that I will use the program again, perhaps as a summer program or to use during next year's Advent break. The cost is $20.00 per month, so it will not be something we use for very long at a time. This may seem like a lot, but if you have a child that you are trying to place in a grade level or to help progress up to a higher grade level, this would help them skim past what they already know and build up to where they need to go. This can go very quickly. After only 12 hours using Aleks, Joel went 60% of the way through the 4th grade. I do feel the program has it's time and place, but not as my core math program.

If you would be interested in a free one-month trial of this program, visit their website to sign up. There is no commitment to continue the program once the trial has ended.

For more reviews of this product, be sure to check out the Homeschool Crew.


.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...